Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Convienance Veggies


Yesterday as I contemplated this new blog I found it ironic that I really didn't have any vegetable dishes planned but I guess that is the point, I would really like to incorporate more vegetables into our diet on a daily basis.

So what did I do for veggies? I started out with... apple carrot baby food - yup for real. I have a 1 year old grandson that I watch 3 days a week and as he has transitioned to table foods I'm faced with the challenge of keeping fruits and veggies front and center in his diet. He loves the squeezable organic veggie mixes and so far he's enjoyed having them as snacks and part of his meals still. There are a couple of brands that advertise themselves as snacks for everyone... so I figured why not? And actually why not, except they are pretty expensive for a daily thing and in reality the packaging waste really isn't necessary but the whole situation illustrates where I am at this moment on this journey. My other convenience veggie...fermented vegetables - sauerkraut (red apple caraway) made by an amazing local producer, Fab Ferments. They offer so many varieties I'm heartened imagining utilizing cultured vegetables more on a daily basis and they definitely are convenient. I could use some more ideas, though, especially for keeping vegetables in my grandchildren's diets and also incorporating more vegetables in my 10 year old's diet.

No comments:

Post a Comment